

In the late 1700’s and the early 1800’s…..
The land comprising the areas on both sides of the Menominee river. Including Menominee on the north side, Marinette on the southern side and Menekaunee also on the south side, at the river’s mouth. Was known as the Menominee River District and was located in what was then known as the Michigan Territory. It remained as such until 1836. In 1836 the Menominee River became the boundary line between Michigan territory that would become the state of Michigan 1n 1837 and the Wisconsin territory that became a state in 1848.
First Recorded Inhabitants….1700’s
Were a small Algonquin tribe known as “the wild rice People” or Menominee’s. The journals of seventeenth and eighteenth explorers describe a tribe of 40 to 80 men living in a single village at the mouth of the Menominee River.
WIGenWEb
First White Settler…. 1794
In the Menominee river basin was Stanislaus Chappu, or Chappee, a French-Canadian fur trader. Chappee operated a log trading post at the site of Marinette between 1794 and 1824. In 1822 another fur trader by the name of William Farnsworth arrived in the river basin. 2 years later he usurped Chappee’s position as the areas fur trader when he forcibly ejected Chappee from his trading post with the help of nearby Chippewa Indians.
Marinette Jacobson arrives….1823

WIGenWEb
In 1823 John B. Jacobs and wife Marinette partnered with a Mr. William Farnsworth and the three took over the Trading Post located near the mouth of the Menominee River.
Soon after arriving Jacobs, her husband, would return to Canada his original home and never returned. Marinette and Farnsworth’s then joined in a common law marriage. From the onset of her arrival in the district, it became apparent that the native Americans who traded furs for food and supplies preferred dealing with Marinette. Marinette was considered by most that knew her as a very capable businesswomen, shrewd but honest trader.
First Sawmill…. 1831
The first sawmill on the Menominee River was built in 1831 by William Farnsworth and Charles Brush. Farnsworth and Brush were granted permission to build a Mill and Dam by the Menominee Indians and also the War Department on un-surveyed Indian lands. Intern they were required to saw lumber and grind grain for the Menominee Tribe and the U.S. Government at a reasonable price. The location of the Mill was on the corner N. Raymond and Riverside Av. approximately 1/8 mile upriver of the Hattie Bridge.
For a more in-depth story but by no means complete click on: the Lumber Boom
WIGenWEb
Freight and Passenger Service begins…1836
The first steamship the “New York” entered the harbor in 1836 to take on a load of wood. She was the first steamship in the harbor. Regular freight and passenger service were established that year.
http://www.rootsweb.com/wimarine
First Registered Real Estate Transfer….1838

The first Real Estate transfer in the Menominee River District is dated May 22nd, 1838, and was from Alex McLeod to William Farnsworth & Charles Brush. The transfer conveyed a mill privilege and a tract of land that embraced an area one mile wide on both sides of the river and extended four miles upriver from its mouth. Farnsworth pictured on right.
The area encompassed virtually all present land in the cities of Marinette and Menominee. The two obtained the large tract for a consideration of $1000. Farnsworth left Marinette his common law wife a few years later and moved to the Sheboygan river region. Although here just 20 years he was very instrumental in our areas early development.
“Way Back When” Serial History of the Twin Cities in the Menominee Herald Leader.
Wisconsin becomes a State…..1848

In 1848 when Wisconsin became a state. The Village of Marinette with a population of between 4 and 5 hundred was located in Oconto County. It remained in Oconto County until 1879 when Oconto County was split into two Counties. Marinette County becoming the Northern most portion and Oconto County the Southernmost. (See more under 1879)
Sources: Wisconsin Historical Society images
On Foot or Horseback….1855
“Until 1855 there were no roads in the town of Marinette laid out as required by law; and in fact, there were no wagon roads at all, of any considerable length, there being no call for them.”
In 1855 the State Legislator passed an act providing for a state road to be built from Fort Howard (Green Bay area) northward to the Menominee River. As work on that road progressed in 1858, a road was laid out to run from Marinette to the village of Menekaunee. In 1862 a road along the Menominee river, from the river’s mouth to Marinette was completed. This road became Water Street. A.C, Brown the roads builder used lumber edgings, sawdust and culverts to lay the road across the swampy areas of Menekaunee to the hard lands above.
Quote and notes are from DR. J.J. Sherman‘s book, The History of Marinette, 1876
First Steam Sawmill….1856
The Steam Sawmill was more efficient than the earlier water powered sawmills. It was built by the New York Lumber Company in the Village of Menekaunee. 5 years later it was sold to 3 businessmen from Chicago by the names of Spalding, Sawyer and Brown. The Mill burned to the ground in 1869 and then again in 1871. Menekaunee was the only part of the Marinette that was affected by the Peshtigo Fire. But like the Phoenix, rose from the flames and was re-opened in 1872 under the name of the Menominee River Lumber Company.

Source: Marinette County Centennial Booklet
Ike Stephenson Arrives….1858

Isaac Stephenson was recognized as a major force in the Development of the City of Marinette and was also a noted leader in Wisconsin‘s and Northern Michigan‘s Lumber Industry.
A Lumberman, Businessman, Financier, Politician and Humanitarian. Stephenson, a larger-than-life figure, at his passing in Marinette at age 89 in 1918 had become one of the wealthiest and most influential individuals in the entire Great Lakes.
For a more in-depth story but by no means complete: click on Isaac Stephenson
Menominee River Boom Co…. 1866

Once the river thawed and prior to the beginning of the log drive each Log was branded with the owner’s mark.
The role or job of the Boom Company was the driving, booming (sorting out of the logs and measuring them), and floating, them down to the appropriate sawmill owner. This was done in the river on floating log booms chained to rock cribs.
The Boom Company, located on the site of the old trading post in Marinette, reported that during a 50-year period, 1867 – 1917 they put 10 billion 608 million board feet of lumber through its sorting gaps on the Menominee River. Its biggest year was 1888 when 650 million feet were cut.



Source: Herald-Leaders “Way Back When” serial History” 6th Installment. Fred C. Burke’s book Logs on the Menominee.
Marinette Iron Works….1867

The Iron Works machine shop, originally known as Prescott’s, was built to repair and manufacture sawmill and mining machinery and was located on Joe Bart (now Stephenson) Island. Owners were Clint Prescott, Trumble and Curver. After being destroyed by fire twice they moved to Main Street and changed their name Marinette Iron Works.
The Prescott’s developed the steam-feed and set works, which revolutionized the sawing of lumber.
Source: http://www.rootsweb.com,/wimarine
First Area Newspaper….1871
The Marinette and Peshtigo Eagle was first published in 1871 by Honorable Luther B. Noyes, Editor and proprietor. The paper was Republican in sentiments, but has discussed political, and other questions, with a good degree of fairness and honesty.
The Noyes Family maintained ownership and editorial influence until 1980. The News Paper first known as the Marinette and Peshtigo Eagle, then the Marinette Eagle Star and now after merging with the Menominee Herald Leader in 1985 becoming the Eagle Herald has now been in business over 150 years.
Railroad Service starts…1871

Service of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway began in 1871. The need for the Railroad was necessitated by the lumber boom and the growth it created.
Prior to this time the quickest way to travel, deliver and receive freight as well mail was via sailboat or steamship.

A committee of Twin City leaders waiting at Menekaunee dock for committee chairman, William B. Ogden, a past Mayor of Chicago, Past President of the Chicago North & Western Railway and at that time Owner and President of Peshtigo Paper, with several directors of the Chicago Northwestern railroad to arrive by boat in 1869.
The purpose was to try to get the Chicago Northwestern Railroad extend service North of Green Bay. Sitting left to right Master Charles Spalding, Judge E.S. Ingalls, Jessie Spalding, Nelson Ludington, Daniel Wells, Jr., Dr. J.C. Hall, Abner Kirby, Isaac Stephenson and Chauncey Simond.
Source: Photos courtesy of the Burke Family Collection
Marinette County Created..1879
On March 3rd. of 1879 Oconto, the largest County in Wisconsin, was divide in half with the Northern most half forming Marinette County. The first County Board of Supervisors met on March 11th with J.A. VanCleve serving as County Clerk. Representing the Township of Marinette was A.C. Merryman. Peshtigo Township was represented by William J. Shephard.
Source: Marinette County Centennial Booklet
Marinette’s First Opera ….1879

Marinette’s had 2 Opera Houses. The first built in 1879, called the Stephenson Opera House, it was located on Hall Street at Stephenson Street. The second was called Turner Opera House, later called the Scott Opera House, was opened in 1891 at the corner of Stephenson and Wisconsin Street, 1910 – 1920 both were converted into moving pictures theaters. The theater on Stephenson and Wisconsin Street which became known as the Fox theater remained in business until 1967.
Sources: cinematreasures.org article by joe Vogel, Eagle Star articles
Marinette County Courthouse….1881

The First Courthouse and Jail was completed in 1881. On land donated by the Honorable Isaac Stephenson. It was designed by George Clark an engineer from London, England who worked for the Union Pacific Railroad and had settled in Marinette County. Calix Merchant furnished the materials and erected the structure for $9,400.
Source: Marinette County Centennial Booklet
Menominee River Hospital – 1884

The Menominee River Hospital was opened in 1884 with a branch opened in Menominee 3 years later. It was incorporated as the M & M Hospital in 1899.
The Hospital was opened in Marinette by Doctor Horace Mann who had completed his training in New York in 1974. Because of the nature of Lumbering, and the constant influx of inexperienced workers, accident cases were numerous and varied. The Hospital was located adjacent to the railroad tracks, with injured men being brought in by hand cart.
The life of a doctor, in those days, was rigorous: morning and afternoon work at the Hospital: office hours in afternoon and evening: house calls anytime day or night. Many Doctors had offices in their homes and dispensed medicines themselves. In the early days most house calls were made by horse and buggy allowing the doctor to take a short nap on his way back home. Yet, to them exhaustion was a way of life.
For a more in-depth story but by no means complete: click on Marinette’s Medical History
Sources: Marinette County Wisconsin WIGenWeb, Medical and Hosital care
No Fewer then 31 Hotels….1889

In 1889 the City Directory listed no fewer than 31 Hotels and boarding houses in the area. Most were clustered in the downtown district along Hall Av. and Main St. and in the Menekaunee Area on Hosmer and Water Streets.*1
The Queen City Hotel pictured was located on Dunlap Square during the “Gay Ninety’s”. This location is kitty corner to the current Best Western.
Pictured Below, The Marinette House and the Central Hotel were two of the earlier Hotels in the area.


During the Lumber Boom there were over 4,000 men working in the Marinette and Menominee sawmills and about 5,000 in and out of the logging camps. Many, were single and in need of temporary residency.

The original Marinette Hotel was built in 1896 and was unquestionably one of the leading Hotels in the state at that time. It was considered the Gateway to Northeastern Wisconsin and to the Northern Peninsula of Michigan.
The Hotel was rebuilt in 1912 enlarging it to 90 rooms. The first floor comprised of a luxurious lobby, coffee shop, an elegantly furnished banquet room and several stores. The basement contained a Barber Shop, Bowling Allies, etc. *2
Source: Photos courtesy of the Burke Family Collection, *1 Marinette Eagle Star article on 07-13-1970,*2 Sheboygan Press 8/27/1929
Lauerman’s Open First Store 1890
Although there were many retail stores in area before 1890, as well as company stores run by all the major sawmills. The entry of the Lauerman Brothers into the Marinette market left a positive retail imprint that lasted for over ninety years.
Through the years the Lauerman Brothers along with many other family members as well as a group of hard-working employees from throughout the area helped Lauerman’s Department Store to become known as the “The Largest Small City Store in America”
For a more in-depth story but by no means complete: click on Lauerman’s Retail Imprint
Firehouse Marinette 1893

1893 firehouse, council chambers, and library. City clerk and treasure office to right. These buildings exist where the current Fire station is today.
Picture from Burke Family Collection
Lakeside Resort (Later the Dome)….1895

The Lakeside Resort was built around 1895 by H.C. Higgins of M&M Light and Traction. The resort had 1360 feet of bathing beach with two bath houses for changing. There was an Inn and Dance Hall. In addition to a bowling alley, carousel and roller coaster.

On a typical Sunday during the summer as many as 2000 people would travel by streetcar to the resort from Marinette and Menominee. The resort was sold to Bill Hasenfus in 1922 and over the years was transformed it into the Dome Resort.
Sources: Lithocrafters Printing, Calendar 2026
Menominee Harbor Cargo shipping….1896
As important as the shipment of white pine lumber was to the economy of the Marinette and Menominee area. Commercial fishing also played a very important role.
During the 1896 shipping season there were 1,333 arrivals and departures in the eight-month season at the Menominee Harbor. Tonnage was 355,529 tons. Many steamships wanted a cargo of whitefish, for at times it was more valuable than pine.
Source: wigenwebsites.org/marinette/history/centen
Chautauqua Assembly….1897

Any History of the of the Marinette area would be incomplete without the mention of the “Chautauqua”. The Northern Chautauqua Assembly, 1897 to 1909, was organized to bring to this area notable eminent religious leaders of all faiths, musicians, singers, readers, scientists, educators, actors, noted politicians and entertainers.
The programs were to be held over 2 to 6 weeks every summer. The location was in the area of the current Pine Beach Club. The property was owned by H.C. Higgins also owner of Marinettes streetcar line and of the Lakeside Resort which was located on the present-day Dome Lanes. Higgins offered any amount of land needed, approximately 50 acres, to accommodate Chautauqua activities.

The inaugural year, 1897 year was considered an immediate success with thousands attending the first night of entertainment. That year found all activities held under tents with plans for at least 7 permanent buildings to be erected in the next several years. These included, Hall of Philosophy, Auditorium, Assembly Hall, Administration Building, Dining Hall, Normal School and Dormitory.
The Chautuaqua Auditorium pictured below could Easley seat 5,000 people. It was also built with sides that opened up that could provide a good view for many more. The stage could accommodate a chorus of 200.

The Chautauqua area was a time when the orator, not the motion picture or television star, was in the limelight. Some of the foremost statesmen, politicians, preachers and educators of the day drew large crowds at the auditorium built in 1905. As such, it provided the people of the area a “Poor Man’s University”.
Souces: Papers of Howard Emic, F.C. Burke and Shirley Nimmergood, Picture of the Auditorium saved by Fred Shemick.
A.W. Stevens Co….1898

A.W. Steven’s company a builder of Steam and Gas engines moved its manufacturing facilities from the state of New York to Marinette in 1898 and played an important role in Marinettes early industrial development.
There factory was located on Pierce Avenue. Producing products recognized as necessities in the farming industry. The firm remained in operation until 1910 going out of business following a lawsuit with the Avery Company over patent infringements. The facilities were taken over by or Kreiter Piano Co. in 1911.

sources: A.W. Stevens Co. Factory : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive,American Mail & Export Journal Aug 1886 pg 32
Marinette Knitting Mill….1904

The Marinette Knitting Mill was started in 1904 by the Lauerman Bros. at the same time that their department store opened. It was a time when local businessmen sought to diversify from the forest products industry. The mills provided products for the store and were shipped to stores around the world offering top-of-the-line, high-fashion knitwear.
A second mill was established in Oconto and in the 1920s, the two mills had a total work force of 400 employees. During World War II, able to hire a large number of women – 1,000 – the mill produced gloves, mufflers, and sweaters for the Allied fighting forces. Later at one time they held a contract for a line of of Disney clothing products. The mill closed and in 1960 Harmon Juster opened Harmon Knitwear Inc. in Marinette. They produced high-quality women’s garments. Harmon closed in 1974.
Source: Rural Insights.org
Kreider Piano….1911
The Kreiter Manufacturing Co. (or Kreiter Piano Co.) was started by German immigrant Conrad Kreiter in Milwaukee in 1880 or 1897 (available sources differ). The piano manufacturing plant was moved to Marinette in 1911. It was located on Pierce av. in the old A.W. Stevens facility.
At one time the company produced 10,000 pianos a year, including grand pianos, uprights, and player pianos. The business offices remained in Milwaukee. The Marinette plant closed around 1930. Although many still are in use yet to this day.
A Player Piano made by Keiter Piano as well many other pianos and organs from the early years are on display at the Museum.
Sources: Dictionary of Wisconsin History